Friday 1 April 2016

    A  Soldier’s Tale   

I am standing there coughing so much I cannot stand straight. The group trying to stand up was so hard especially in the mud.

As I try to go to safety, bullets and shells land behind me I march as fast as I can trying not to trip over or get hit.

Many of the group have lots their boots some with bad cuts on their feet. They appear to be deaf not even hearing the gas shells that fall behind them because of their tiredness and sickness. The lot of them are drunk looking, They can’t see where they are marching or think properly, We all just need a good rest.

Here I am shouting and screaming my heart racing, calling to all the others warning them about the poisonous gas before they lose their lives and die.

Even though I am so exhausted, I speedly put on my awkward gas mask from the kit we all have. Unfortunately one of our men was too slow stumbly around as the gas fills up his lungs.  

The gas is so thick now it is so hard to see even one of my mates, it is a greenish colour that feels like it will make the whole world all cloudy and ghastly.

I will never forget my conrad come rushing towards me coughing terribly, knowing he is going to die. I don’t know what to say at all, there is a big tight knot in my stomach.

There he is. My best mate lying on a wagon dead. I feel terrible, to sad to think about anything but him. What would you do if you were here seeing all this what I am seeing? He had brown hair and bright blue eyes he had a kind heart and always smiled at me whenever I looked at him even when we were going through rough times.

What are you hearing as the man is dying? It is so hard I am having no fun I am never having fun I don’t like this dying for your country.



No comments:

Post a Comment